Biochemistry & Haematology
Clinical chemistry analyses of plasma/serum and urine comprise of metabolites, ions, enzymes, and serological quantifications that could be used to assess metabolic and functional abnormalities of different organs of the body. Examination of whole blood for haematology may reveal pathologies or treatments that affect blood parameters. Both clinical chemistry and haematology are part of the core pipeline of the International Mouse Phenotyping Consortium (IMPC) with routine and standardized methods following IMPReSS guidelines.
In addition to IMPC compulsory parameters, the Biochemistry and Haematology Unit can further measure analytes within the capacity of the analyzers. We offer measurements of hormones, cytokines, and serum factors using immunoassays. As part of the metabolism platform of the CCP, we provide expert opinions and analysis for cell or tissue-specific characterization evaluating carbohydrate and lipid processing with established protocols.
Standard services Clinical Chemistry
The following analytes can be measured using the Beckman-Coulter AU480. The amount of samples needed depends on the desired parameters to be measured. Please refer to our attachment below for guidelines on sample collection and information regarding each assay and sample volume needed. For IMPC primary screens, Li-Heparin plasma is used. Some analytes can be quantified from urine and CSF. An additional 20 uL from each sample is needed to account for instrument dead volume and measurement of LIH (lipemia, icterus, & hemolysis assessment).
Calcium (Ca), Chloride (Cl), Inorganic Phosphorus (P), Iron (Fe), Magnesium (Mg), Potassium (K), Sodium (Na), Unsaturated-iron binding capacity (UIBC)
Albumin, Bilirubin (Conjugated &/or Total), Cholesterol (Total), HDL cholesterol (HDL),
LDL cholesterol (LDL), Creatinine, Ferritin, Fructosamines, Glucose, Glycerol, Lactate, Non-esterified Fatty Acids (NEFA), Total Protein, Transferrin, Triglycerides, Urea, Uric acid
Alpha-amylase, Alanine aminotransferase (ALT), Alkaline phosphatase (ALP), Aspartate aminotransferase (AST), Creatine Kinase (CpK), Hydroxybutyrate Dehydrogenase (HBDH), Lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), Lipase
Analytes can be analyzed as panels:
Liver: Albumin, ALP, ALT, AST, Bilirubin, Total protein, Urea
Renal: Creatinine, Urea, Uric acid
Pancreatic: α-Amylase, Creatinine, Fructosamines, Glucose, Lipase
Inflammation: ALP, ALT, AST, CpK, Creatinine, Urea
Lipid metabolism: Cholesterol (Total, HDL and LDL), Glycerol, Lipase, NEFA, Triglycerides
Cardiac and muscle function: Na, K, Ca, CpK, HBDH, LDH
Anemia: Bilirubin, Fe, Ferritin, Mg, Transferrin, UIBC
Bone: Ca, P, Albumin, ALP
General: Na, K, Ca, P, Total protein, Albumin, ALP, AST, ALT, Urea, Creatinine, Cholesterol
IMPC: ALT, Albumin, ALP, AST, Ca, Chloride, Creatinine, Glucose, HDL cholesterol, Fe, LDH, P, K, Na, Total bilirubin, Total cholesterol, Total protein, Triglycerides, Urea
Please dowload the PDF document to check for other assays and reagents compatible with our analyzer.
Standard services Haematology
Basic haematological parameters from different animal species can be measured using the Mindray BC-5300 Vet. The instrument can measure at whole blood or pre-diluted modes. We require 25 uL of blood sample collected in EDTA-containing tubes.
Complete Blood Count
The parameters that are measured are red blood cell count (RBC), white blood cell count (WBC), platelet count (PLT), hemoglobin (HGB), hematocrit (HCT), mean corpuscular volume (MCV), mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH), mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC), red cell distribution width (RDW), and mean platelet volume (MPV).
Complete Blood Count with Differentials
This requires the same amount of EDTA-whole blood per sample and measures all the parameters above but also includes absolute and differential cell counts for neutrophils (Neu#, Neu%), lymphocytes (Lym#, Lym%), monocytes (Mon#, Mon%), eosinophils (Eos#, Eos%), and basophils (Bas#, Bas%).
Custom services Immunoassays
Using the Bio-Plex® 200 multiplex system and Epoch™ we can measure multitude of biomolecules from a single sample. Samples that can be analyzed include serum/plasma, culture media, cell/tissue culture supernatants. We currently offer different panels for multiplex assays and tested kits for individual analytes. For customization and complete lists of biomolecules that can be analysed in our multiplex system, please refer to the links.
List of analytes
- Metabolic Panel (AAT, AGP-1, ANGPTL3, Chemerin, DPP4, Hemopexin, C-Peptide, Cortisol, FGF-21, FGF-23, Galectin-3, sLeptin R, Omentin-1, Pancreatic polypeptide, Pentraxin-3, PON-1, Proinsulin, Protein S, PYY, RBP-4, SEPP, Transferrin, Transthyretin, Vaspin, VDBP)
- Diabetes Panel (Adiponectin, Adipsin, C-peptide, Ghrelin, GIP, GLP-1, Glucagon, Insulin, Leptin, PAI-1, Resistin, Visfatin)
- Hormone Panel (FSH, GH, LH, Prolactin, TSH)
- Cytokine/Chemokine Panel (IL-1α, IL-1β, IL-2, IL-3, IL-4, IL-5, IL-6, sIL6-R, IL-7, IL-9, IL-10, IL-12 (p40), IL-12 (p70), IL-13, IL-15, IL-17a, IL-17F, IL-18, IL-20, IL-21, IL-22, IL-23p19, IL-25, IL-27p28, IL-31, IL-33, BCA-1, CTACK, ENA-78, Eotaxin, EPO, Basic FGF, Fractalkine, G-CSF, GM-CSF, IFN-γ, IP-10, KC, LIF, M-CSF, MIF, MIG, MCP-1, MIP-1α, MIP-1β, MIP-2, MIP-3α, MIP-3β, β-NGF, PDGF-BB, RANTES, TNF-α, TNF-β, TRAIL, VEGF)
- Apoptosis Panel (Active caspase, Bad, Bak, Bcl-2/Bax, Bcl-xL, Bim, Lamin B, Mcl-1, Smac, Survivin)
- MMPs and Inhibitors (MMP1-3, 7-10, 12, 13; TIMP1-4)
- Cell signalling pathways (Akt, JAK-STAT, MAPK, EGFR, IGR, NF-κB, p70 S6 Kinase, VEGFR, mTOR, TGF-β, etc.)
- Singleplex Assays: Insulin, Corticosterone, Leptin, Hepcidin, TSH, T3, Thyroxine (T4), Testosterone, Estrogens, Progestins, PTH, FGF, EPO)
Custom services Assays for Metabolic Assessment on Different Tissues
In addition to standard services and immunoassays, the Unit offers tested and validated assays to further characterize carbohydrate and lipid metabolic states of different tissues like the liver, muscle, adipose, brain, and pancreas. Below is the partial list of services available. Please contact us for details regarding each assay and if you have further questions.
List of methods
- Lipid extraction and quantification from cells, tissues, or feces
- Intermediate term monitoring of glycemia using 1,5-Anhydroglucitol
- Isolation and quantification of liver glycogen
- Insulin ELISA for samples obtained during glucose tolerance test
- Fractionation of serum for lipoproteins using ultracentrifugation
- Other assays for cell & tissue lysates can be prepared and optimized on demand.
Custom services Metabolite Quantification – HPLC
Currently, measurements can be done for amino acids, pterins, bile acids, barbiturates, and ROS adducts (malonylaldehyde and dihydroethitidium). Other tests can be prepared and optimized on demand.